Posts Tagged ‘C-section’
I think it goes without saying that I’ve been busy for the last three weeks.
We welcomed Z to our family on her due date (thanks to an induction). She was 21″ just as both of her parents had been, and she weighed in at 11 pounds 4 ounces. Yes, you read that right, and no, I didn’t have a C-section.
The three of us (and the dogs!) are doing great.
I’m starting to question whether or not I will stick with this OB/GYN after the baby is born. I like the doctor, and I really haven’t had any problems with the office until the last few weeks. I’m not sure whether or not it’s worth changing, but today really took the cake.
Let me rewind briefly to yesterday. I had been stressed out, as I’ve mentioned before, because I had had such a large gap between yesterday’s appointment and the previous one. Needless to say, I was glad to be there yesterday, but the visit didn’t exactly go well. From the time my appointment was supposed to begin to the time I was put in an exam room, J.R. and I waited exactly 35 minutes. From the time we were put into the exam room until the time the doctor came in was another 30 minutes. Maybe having to wait a long time isn’t a big deal, but at that moment, it was for me. It was hot, I was tired and uncomfortable, and I was already frustrated with the doctor’s office in the first place. Plus, J.R. needed to get back to work. It just pissed me off.
The exam itself went well. I will spare you the gory details (I don’t think a cervix is all that gory, but whatever), but a little progress has been made.
I was told to expect a call with my induction date today. As long as the hospital’s schedule could accommodate, the induction would be sometime before next Friday (my actual due date).
This was a great relief to me, not only because I’d see some light at the end of the tunnel, but also because I’ve been exceedingly nervous about the baby’s size. I just didn’t want it to get to the point where I had no choice but to have a C-section.
So today I waited for the call. Around 10:30 I told J.R. that I felt like I should call at some point because I was just so sure, with my luck, that they would forget me. He agreed, and we decided on 1:10 because, while I didn’t know what time the office closed on Fridays, I knew it closed early – but surely not at 1:00. I tacked on 10 minutes just to give them a chance to get back from lunch.
1:10 arrived with no call, so I picked up my phone and dialed. I got the recorded message that they had closed. I hung up and called back just in case. The same. Then I went into some hysterical crying, as I knew I would if this went awry. I hadn’t exhausted my options though, so I calmed myself down and called the hospital’s L&D unit. They didn’t want to tell me. Awesome. So then I cried so much I frightened the dogs. This is when J.R. decided he’d call my doctor’s office and talk to whatever doctor was on call and insist on an answer. I was grateful, because there was no settling down for me at that point.
Eventually he called me back and said someone was still in the office, so he’d spoken to them. They “weren’t able to get with L&D,” but they would be calling me first thing Monday morning. Well, what the fuck could I do?
I just gave up.
Then I went and got the computer and started typing this. Somewhere in the last few paragraphs, my phone rang. It was my doctor’s nurse – the one who schedules the inductions. Apparently MY DOCTOR FORGOT to give her my chart after my appointment yesterday, so she had no instruction to even call and schedule the fucking induction.
The good news – and I hesitate to even call it that – is that she was able to get in touch with L&D to get me scheduled. The bad news is that I’m scheduled for my due date (next Friday) – and who knows how big the baby will be by then? Perhaps they could have gotten me an earlier spot, had this been handled correctly from the start.
But my doctor just forgot. Does this mean I’ve got to worry about her forgetting and leaving fucking forceps in my business, too?
I hoped that the frantic crying spell might just get contractions going, but no such luck. All I can do is just sit here and wait.
I’m upset, but I waited until too late in the day to get upset.
I should backtrack a little. Predictably, the eggplant parmesan didn’t work (it was good, though). I went to a hockey game last night, absolutely sure I’d go into labor there. Nope. I don’t feel any different, either. It seems like this baby is nowhere near coming out.
I hit 38 weeks today. At my last visit to the OB, she had made brief mention of induction in week 39, which is fine. It’s not that I’m so miserable that I couldn’t go to 40 weeks, but I’m just concerned about having to have a C-section if they were to wait so long that she was too big.
When I last saw her, the scheduler set up my next appointment. Because the doctor was out of town this week, they set it for the following week (next week). Apparently the only slot they had for me was for a Friday (the 13th, actually). At the time, I kind of thought it sucked that I would have to wait so long, but I didn’t think too much more about it. Plus, I think I had this idea in the back of my mind that I was going to go into labor before then.
Well, here I am at the beginning of week 38, feeling like this baby isn’t interested in showing up early, which means I may very well need an induction if I want to get this thing started before she’s so big that a C-section is my only option. Having my next OB appointment scheduled for the beginning of my 39th week is making me nervous. Then when do you schedule the induction? Probably not over the weekend. So that puts me halfway into my 39th week. Then how big is the baby?
I don’t want to have my hand forced on a C-section just because of someone else’s schedule.
I wouldn’t veto the doctor if she thought going straight for a C-section was going to be the safest thing for my baby or myself. People who do that may just end up with emergency C-sections anyway. But I don’t want to let it get to that point. I need for this baby to still be at a size where it’s safe for me to at least just try to do this myself.
Up until now, I have not been one of those paranoid or overbearing pregnant women, but this may be the difference between someone cutting my stomach open or not. I’m going to call Monday morning and find out if the doctor has had any cancellations earlier in the week. If not, someone in there is going to have to see me. We’ve spent enough money in there at this point that they ought to listen.
I’m still hoping for a small miracle before then. Currently all my hope falls on tonight’s full moon. That sounds ridiculous, I know, but people buy into it. There’s really no science to back it up, but supposedly the birth rates are higher the day before, day of and day after a full moon. So I have tonight and tomorrow.
I also had a nice spicy taco soup for dinner, though normal levels of spice haven’t helped so far – which is why we’re doing hot chicken tomorrow. I’ve thought about Prince’s over the last week, but I’ve honestly been a little worried that it could be too much spice for the baby. Now I’m ready to give it a shot. As it turns out, we’re going to have to get it from some other hot chicken place in Antioch tomorrow, because they open earlier than Prince’s. If hot chicken doesn’t do it, who knows if Pitocin would even work?
So, yeah, I’m a little emotional this evening.
I saw my regular OB today, and she said I wouldn’t necessarily have to have a C-section, especially if I went into labor before 40 weeks. A lot of it will just depend on how big the baby is, and that’s something that I have no control over. Well, I mean, I could let my blood sugar go to hell and she’d probably get really huge, but I certainly don’t want that. Man, I hate shit I can’t control.
Cesarean or not, I’ll get an epidural, so that’s a positive.
I also asked about the accuracy of the weight estimates – she said they were typically accurate plus or minus a pound. This means that the baby could be anywhere from 4.14 pounds (about right for this stage) to 6.14 pounds at the highest (way too big this early in the game). So that’s potentially encouraging – or not at all, depending on my level of optimism at any given moment.
This all brings me to a solicitation of advice. Because I want to avoid a C-section if at all possible, and because the whole being pregnant thing has gotten really old, when I hit 37 weeks (full term), I want to try as many of the unproven labor-inducers as possible – as long as they’re safe. By that I mean the things you hear about like eating pineapple, exercising, indulging in spicy foods, etc.
So if you know of something that seemed to work for you or someone you know, leave it in the comments. Ultimately, I’ll clear anything I do with my doctor before I do it. I’m sure she won’t attest to the effectiveness of it, but she can tell me if it’s safe.
I’ve been moody this week. Everyone is on my nerves – even people I like. Today was no better.
We went to my appointment with the gestational diabetes doctor, and that’s going just fine. I’ve kept my blood sugar totally under control with diet alone (and bitched about it the whole time).
Then they did an ultrasound to see how the baby was doing and take measurements. That was all fine. She had hiccups and then she yawned for us, and that was cute. But she is big. Too big.
I’m at 32 weeks and 5 days today, and they estimated her weight at 5 pounds 14 ounces. The doctor came in to talk to us after the scan and stressed that I shouldn’t get my heart set on a vaginal delivery.
That was incredibly disappointing. He said that it is probably a genetic thing (J.R. and I were both over 8 pounds when we were born). He told us that babies who are large because of GDM usually are oversized in the stomach area, whereas our baby is just proportionally big all over. So I guess I don’t have to blame myself for eating those Girl Scout cookies.
We have our first childbirth class in less than an hour. I was excited about it, but now I think it’s just going to depress me even more, since I’m guessing C-sections will just be a footnote.
I have an appointment with the OB tomorrow. Maybe she will have something to say that will make me more optimistic.