jane q. public

send whips of opinion down my back, give me more

Posts Tagged ‘hockey

I like it, I love it – except for the excruciating pain

leave a comment »

I never did make another attempt at rescheduling that doctor’s appointment. It just seemed like a waste of my time. I’ll be going in in nine hours.

I have no idea what is going to happen. I’m 8 days from my due date, and the doctor had previously mentioned something about inducing at 39 weeks, so I don’t know if we will schedule something while we’re there or not. If we don’t, I’m probably going to break down, so maybe I should skip makeup.

It seems like a lot of people get a sweep prior to trying induction, so maybe that’s what she’ll do. I assume that can be done easily during my exam. I have no idea if I’ve progressed any from my last check (how would I know?), but I don’t feel like anything has changed.

One weird thing did happen tonight, though. I have been skipping some hockey games lately (which, for me to do that, is pretty shocking), but I opted to go tonight because it was the Predators’ first playoff game of 2012, and probably the last one I’ll see depending on the breastfeeding situation and how deep into the playoffs the team goes.

Anyway, I’d felt fine (as much as you can feel fine at the tail end of pregnancy) all day, so I figured I could manage. However, I started having this horrible pain on the lower left side of my back. I’ve never had any kidney issues, so I can’t say for sure, but I kind of convinced myself that’s what it was.

The pain got progressively worse, and I ended up deciding I would have to leave after the first period – anyone who knows me knows that something is really wrong if I leave a game early, and leaving a playoff game is unheard of.

I made J.R. stay, and I had my mom take me home because I knew that I wasn’t having contractions. Naturally, about 10 minutes after we arrived at my house, the damn pain stopped. I’m kind of pissed that I had to leave the game and didn’t even get a baby for my trouble.

Oh well. At least the Predators won.

Written by janeqpublic

April 12, 2012 at 11:40 am

Not the kind of panic I expected

leave a comment »

I’m upset, but I waited until too late in the day to get upset.

I should backtrack a little. Predictably, the eggplant parmesan didn’t work (it was good, though). I went to a hockey game last night, absolutely sure I’d go into labor there. Nope. I don’t feel any different, either. It seems like this baby is nowhere near coming out.

I hit 38 weeks today. At my last visit to the OB, she had made brief mention of induction in week 39, which is fine. It’s not that I’m so miserable that I couldn’t go to 40 weeks, but I’m just concerned about having to have a C-section if they were to wait so long that she was too big.

When I last saw her, the scheduler set up my next appointment. Because the doctor was out of town this week, they set it for the following week (next week). Apparently the only slot they had for me was for a Friday (the 13th, actually). At the time, I kind of thought it sucked that I would have to wait so long, but I didn’t think too much more about it. Plus, I think I had this idea in the back of my mind that I was going to go into labor before then.

Well, here I am at the beginning of week 38, feeling like this baby isn’t interested in showing up early, which means I may very well need an induction if I want to get this thing started before she’s so big that a C-section is my only option. Having my next OB appointment scheduled for the beginning of my 39th week is making me nervous. Then when do you schedule the induction? Probably not over the weekend. So that puts me halfway into my 39th week. Then how big is the baby?

I don’t want to have my hand forced on a C-section just because of someone else’s schedule.

I wouldn’t veto the doctor if she thought going straight for a C-section was going to be the safest thing for my baby or myself. People who do that may just end up with emergency C-sections anyway. But I don’t want to let it get to that point. I need for this baby to still be at a size where it’s safe for me to at least just try to do this myself.

Up until now, I have not been one of those paranoid or overbearing pregnant women, but this may be the difference between someone cutting my stomach open or not. I’m going to  call Monday morning and find out if the doctor has had any cancellations earlier in the week. If not, someone in there is going to have to see me. We’ve spent enough money in there at this point that they ought to listen.

I’m still hoping for a small miracle before then. Currently all my hope falls on tonight’s full moon. That sounds ridiculous, I know, but people buy into it. There’s really no science to back it up, but supposedly the birth rates are higher the day before, day of and day after a full moon. So I have tonight and tomorrow.

I also had a nice spicy taco soup for dinner, though normal levels of spice haven’t helped so far – which is why we’re doing hot chicken tomorrow. I’ve thought about Prince’s over the last week, but I’ve honestly been a little worried that it could be too much spice for the baby. Now I’m ready to give it a shot. As it turns out, we’re going to have to get it from some other hot chicken place in Antioch tomorrow, because they open earlier than Prince’s. If hot chicken doesn’t do it, who knows if Pitocin would even work?

So, yeah, I’m a little emotional this evening.

Written by janeqpublic

April 7, 2012 at 5:05 am